Tiwaz's Emissaries » The Weary Traveller's Inn » Comp spec

Create Guest Account (account required for posting) Log in
Thread started by Kindar New Messages  
Kindar

2004-09-29 19:49:00  -  Comp spec
Aight...soon going to spec up a new comp, so my AMD 1800+ can collect dust. Unless im gonna make it a bb account ^^

Im gonna try a Pentium4 this time. Been using AMD all the time, but a friend of mine been having a lot of good experience with the P4. Both gaming and stability.

So far im pretty aware of what to get, but unsure regarding a graphic card. Mainly i wanna hit the best of the best, but what is the best of the best?
Any ideas or experience with a new card?
Daoc - Kindar Battlespirit - Norse Warrior *Inactive*
Age of Conan - Sanzor - Conqueror - *Inactive*
Skeggi

2004-09-29 23:56:28  -  Re: Comp spec
I have no idea but this seems ok

http://www.nvidia.com/page/geforce_6600.html
or this

http://www.ati.com/products/radeonx800/index.html
...thor? you know this shit :D

Gurbe

2004-09-30 08:50:25  -  Re: Comp spec
From my experience, if you want a stable AMD system, DON'T buy anything that uses VIA chipsets :<
I always had IRQ sharing violations, random game crashes, BSODs, etc.

But about the vid card, I have had an nVidia (2 MX) card, and currently have an ATi (Radeon 9600 Pro). Don't think there's a whole lot of difference between those two brands, just don't buy a 'cheap' version of a card, because it has a lot of features nerfed.

I suggest you google for some benchmarks though ;)
Mikoolo

2004-09-30 09:54:24  -  Re: Comp spec
??? who uses a computer anyway?? i like monopoly ;)(muahahahaha)

2004-09-30 21:47:06  -  Re: Comp spec
come visit us some day Kindy, and i'll bribe tarra into telling you what to buy :) he knows it very well :)

-Jerelyn *party on saturday=shitloads of geeeeks = information*
Edited by Jerelyn on 2004-09-30 21:47:41
Thorarin

2004-10-01 09:41:50  -  Re: Comp spec
Gurbe wrote:
"From my experience, if you want a stable AMD system, DON'T buy anything that uses VIA chipsets :<
I always had IRQ sharing violations, random game crashes, BSODs, etc."
I've been using VIA chipsets for a while now, probably on my last 4 motherboards or so. Luckily I haven't had problems with IRQ sharing or random crashes, apart from a video driver problem in Windows 2000 Server once.

Next time I'll probably try something else though. As for AMD, I've never personally owned a non-AMD PC and I don't really see a reason to change that.

As for graphics cards I would prefer a 6800 GT over a X800, it has slightly more support for certain new DirectX features iirc.
The first PCI Express motherboards are around, so I'd like to say: buy a PCI-E board now, or wait a couple of months if you want to be sure all the flaws are ironed out, but don't buy a soon absolete AGP board.
On top of that the GeForce 6 series is designed around PCI Express and the AGP versions use a translation chip to make it work on AGP slots. I don't think the performance hit is that great, but it certainly doesn't make it faster. Also if you spend 400 euros on a videocard I'd want to make d*mned sure it doesn't use an outdated bus architecture. So in short: PCI Express is the way to go.

2004-10-02 10:49:23  -  Re: Comp spec
Yeh thor, but what card can play pr0n best?

Gurbe

2004-10-03 09:38:21  -  Re: Comp spec
A GayForce ofcourse!
Skeggi

2004-10-03 13:08:09  -  Re: Comp spec
Gurbe wrote:
"A GayForce ofcourse!"

ftw! :D