Tiwaz's Emissaries » The Weary Traveller's Inn » techy person type... help!

Create Guest Account (account required for posting) Log in
Thread started by Gama New Messages 1 2
Gama

2003-05-27 22:21:58  -  techy person type... help!
Elme

2003-05-28 07:37:04  -  Re: techy person type... help!
The more expensive RAM is called ECC ram, ECC-ram is partionsram that means they use another bit on checksum.
Which in normal english comes down to: ECC-ram is mostly used in servers... So you just buy the cheap ones..

For the Motherboard ASUS ROCKS! and yeah that ASUS-MB support almost any speed ram:DDR266/PC2100, DDR200/PC1600, DDR333/PC2700, DDR400/PC3200 <---- this last one are those you are buying.

Btw, ECC = Error CorreCtion, if you want more explaintion about ECC-ram ill be happy to post how they work :D

For the graphicscard i have no clue AT ALL, but since its and ASUS-MB im pretty sure i works... ASUS ROCKS!

Just saying this, the MB only supports these processors:Athlon, Duron, Athlon XP
But you prolly knew that....
Edited by Elme on 2003-05-28 07:41:50
Gama

2003-05-28 07:43:24  -  Re: techy person type... help!
Thanks for ya help ;)

now to find an HDD, case and erm... ah, sound card
Gama

2003-05-28 08:02:09  -  Re: techy person type... help!
oh, whats the difference between OEM and erm... not OEM, btw? :P
Elme

2003-05-28 08:44:20  -  Re: techy person type... help!
OEM??? we talk licenses from microsoft or what?

If its OEM-licenses it basicly means the licens you bought can only be used on ONE computer. Even if it dies and you throw it away, it still means you CANT use the license on another computer.

OEM lives and dies with one computer...
Thorarin

2003-05-28 10:16:01  -  Re: techy person type... help!
The term OEM is often misused..
Often OEM hardware means that it's bulk. If you buy an 'OEM' CPU it won't be individually packaged, boxed, etc but lying in a plastic grid with a bunch of CPUs in ;)

An OEM DVD-Drive comes in a plastic anti-static bag instead of a nicely designed box that tries to convince you you need that particular DVD-Drive.. you get the point ;)

2003-05-28 11:15:29  -  Re: techy person type... help!
OEM is also usually cheaper than non-OEM products - because you dont get the colorfull box.

Sometimes OEM/bulk also means you get the hardware without drivers, but all drivers for hardware can be downloaded (probably a newer version than the one they use in their non-OEM product anyway)

I always buy OEM/bulk when I can.

2003-05-28 11:19:05  -  Re: techy person type... help!
ok, another newby question...

whats the difference (or best) of IDE, EIDE, and UIDE hdds? :P
Thorarin

2003-05-28 18:35:27  -  Re: techy person type... help!
(U)IDE-133 is the fastest regular IDE at the moment.

Serial ATA 1.0 is slightly faster, 150 MB/s maximum throughput I believe, versus 133 MB/s on the UltraATA-133.

SATA disks are still less common and more expensive, but they have their advantages, so it wouldn't hurt to have SATA support on your motherboard.

Anyway, if you have a U100 HD instead of a U133 one, it doesn't necessarily mean that the harddisk is slower. That transfer speed is only reached when tranferring data to/from the HD's cache.

Most HDs are at least 7200 RPM nowadays, which has a more direct influence on the drive's actual speed, so don't get a 5400 RPM :)

PS: With regard to that PSU, 300-350W is probably enough. I'd get 350+ though if I had the choice, just to be sure. If the PSU has problems providing enough power the system can become unstable, which you don't want of course :)
Edited by Thorarin on 2003-05-28 18:36:16
Tarrasque

2003-05-30 06:01:53  -  Re: techy person type... help!
<Laughs> Damn, Gama don't you think it would be better for me to gather your com together? :) I do it for a living y'know. :)

No offence ofcourse. :) But Thorarin is doing a good job in describing what you should and shouldn't get. Regarding HDs, I just think you should go for a normal IDE HD, such as a Maxtor 120 GB or something. :) Or perhaps a Western Digital 120 GB with 8 Megabyte Cache. :) Don't get too much hung up on the SATA stuff. The other thing is still there to stay and most computers use it still. :)

Anyways.. do throw more msgs if you need more help. :)

2003-05-30 09:21:49  -  Re: techy person type... help!
Yeah, the regular IDE is still good, but Serial ATA has more potential. You can get higher speeds over those 3 wires than over 40 parallel wires :)

Sounds a bit strange maybe, but the key is timing. If you use 40 parallel signals, all the wires will have to be exactly the same length or they will go out of sync at higher speeds. Serial ATA has clock signal and data integrated into 1 signal, so per definition there can't be any timing problems. The same principe is used with network cables.

Maxtor HDs are ok nowadays, fairly quiet, cheap and fast. I seem to have some bad luck with them, though it doesn't seem limited to Maxtor alone <sigh>

I think Gama wanted to get a Seagate Barracuda of some kind. They have 2MB and 8MB models as well, as does Maxtor. For Maxtor, 8MB instead of 2MB adds about 20 euros, SATA another 20. Prices tend to differ a lot per country though.

2003-05-30 09:56:06  -  Re: techy person type... help!
Hehe.. I'm not disagreeing with you regarding SATA disks. Not at all. I'm merely saying not many use it yet, so I think it would be better to stick to something like the old fashion things, like normal IDE-HDs. :) And yes, I know Maxtor also has both.. and Seagate for that matter.. I install on them on a daily basis. :D

But in the end, I'll just hope Gama gets what she will be happy with. :) Look at me for example. I'm running my OS on a Maxtor 10 GB 5400 RPM disk. :D It runs, although it's not the fastest ever. But there's no mention of the 120 Western Digital or my 80 Maxtor though ;)

Conclusion?
- It's all about your data! :D

2003-06-18 15:38:07  -  Re: techy person type... help!
Hmm, owing to certain companies changing their product lines... how about this? :)

Asus A7N8X Deluxe nForce2 (Socket A) Motherboard
AMD Athlon "Barton" XP2800+ 333FSB (Socket A)
512MB DDR PC3200
Coolermaster Aero Blower Fan
Hercules 3D Prophet 9800 Pro 128MB DDR (AGP)

Btw, this is on the specifications on the motherboard ' Serial ATA150 Controller', I take it means that it means I can have this HDD? Seagate Barracuda Serial ATA V 80GB
Anyway, I've somehow managed to spend more cash than I thought I had... so I've got 3 weeks until i can order it (getting about £400 pay, plus £300+ tax returns, muahaha)

[edit] Forgot the case...
V770 Modding Case Silver/blue ATX 350w With Built in Side WindowShould look nice with the graphics card (check its fan in the picture if you missed it ;) ) and yeah I know I should probably get a 400watt PSU instead of the 350 one that comes with it...
Edited by Thorarin on 2003-06-18 20:49:21
Thorarin

2003-06-18 20:55:56  -  Re: techy person type... help!
I'm not always keeping up to date on all the latest models, but it looks good.. Strange CPU fan though :)

And yeah, the Deluxe version seems to have SATA support :)

Edit: and damn, prices seem to be a lot lower in the UK for some reason :P
Edited by Thorarin on 2003-06-18 22:44:54
Gama

2003-06-18 21:52:52  -  Re: techy person type... help!
Oi, don't mock the fan! :)

Anyway, now agrei's forced the idea of a hyperthread... thingy P4 into my head... now looking for a mobo compatable with it ;)
Gama

2003-06-18 22:10:06  -  Re: techy person type... help!
Urg...

ok, hows about this mobo Asus P4C800 Deluxe "Canterwood" and this CPU Intel Pentium 4 'Northwood' 2.8CGHz (800FSB) with HT Technology
hmm, now i actualy have to find a sound card... :)

[edit] or does that mobo have a sound thing on it?
Edited by Gama on 2003-06-18 22:11:41
Agreiloth

2003-06-18 22:45:42  -  Re: techy person type... help!
Sounds sweet Gama, and yes :
- ADI AD1985 SoundMAX 6-channel CODEC

That's a sound card ;)

Make sure the ram you buy is DDR400, and that you get two RAM blocks of the same make and same size..

If you decide to go Intel ofc...

I'll shut up now..

:p
Edited by Agreiloth on 2003-06-18 22:46:11
Thorarin

2003-06-18 22:45:55  -  Re: techy person type... help!
Bah, boycot Intel ;)

2003-06-18 23:04:23  -  Re: techy person type... help!
Admit it Thorarin right now Intel is the best value/money..

Maybe that will change when/if AMD releases hammer, but no AMD cpu beats the P4 HT cpu's sry ;)

And Gama.. that Mobo is VERY nice ..

Taken from Tom's hardware guide about that Asus Mobo you're looking at ;)

"What Asus has done may be good for the consumer, but will cause headaches for Intel. Obviously, with the price difference of the two chipsets being $16 (when bought in 1000 units) translating into a differential of $55 for the mobo, Intel loses out. As long as the buyer goes for the Asus board, since other manufacturers have not mastered this technology yet, the price/ performance advantage is clear."

2003-06-18 23:43:29  -  Re: techy person type... help!
"Admit it Thorarin right now Intel is the best value/money.."

Riiiiight, and I'm Mickey Mouse 8)
The price difference is pretty big here.. It really depends on what you use the machine for though.
Edited by Thorarin on 2003-06-18 23:47:56
1 2